Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Religion Filled Day

May 28th was a day full of religions. Somehow we managed to cover all the major religions in one day...with out even meaning to! I think it was the ultimate Jerusalem experience...considering that Jerusalem is central to all of these religions.

The morning started way before we wanted it to. The rising of the sun ended the Jewish holiday of Shauvot...and we were determined to be at the Western Wall for the rising of the sun. We met at the first floor at 4:30 am...yes...4:30 am. The only thing that got me out of bed was the thought that we are only in Jerusalem once, I must take advantage of these once in a lifetime opportunities. Since it was dark and we aren't normally allowed in East Jerusalem when it's dark, we had gotten special permission for this outing that our Israel teacher had suggested going to. So...a little after 4:30...once they had finally unlocked the doors for us...78 of us headed for the Western Wall.

It's disrespectful to take pictures at these sacred Jewish holidays...so I don't have any to show...but it was packed with people!! Shauvot is a holiday where they stay up all night studying the Torah. We asked some girls and they said that generally the men are the ones that stayed up all night...but it just depended on the family. It's always pretty cool to see so many people in one place putting so much devotion into their religions.

We thought there would be a little bit more to see...like I thought when the sun came up there would be singing and dancing...or something of that nature (they dance and sing when they welcome the Sabbath). But because the Western Wall is so open and diverse...there wasn't a whole lot to see. Mostly there were just a LOT of people studying the Torah. Some people were kind of singing...but there wasn't a dramatic difference between the time that it was dark and the time that it was light. We had been expecting a little bit more, but it's ok.

Judaism...check!

We figured that since we were up and since we were by the Temple Mount, we might as well take the opportunity to go up to the Temple Mount and to the Dome of the Rock.

It was still pretty early...and the Temple Mount didn't open until 7:30...so we wandered to find somewhere to get food (the places were limited but I grabbed some bread and chocolate milk. yum!). Then we got into line and were the first ones to enter the Temple Mount!

Walking on the bridge up to the Temple Mount. 

We got up to the Temple Mount and I was seriously astounded. The Temple Mount area is incredible! We got closer to the Dome of the Rock and I was in awe! It is amazing!! I had been so excited to finally go to the Dome of the Rock...and it was well worth the excitement. So, of course...we snapped some pictures....



What is so crazy to me is how all these major religions intertwine. The Western Wall surrounds the Temple Mount...and the Western Wall is Jewish. But you enter the Temple Mount and there is the Dome of the Rock and the Al Aqsa Mosque...which are Islamic. In Jerusalem...these religions all run together.

Islam...check!

Not only was it a Jewish holiday...but it was also a Christian holiday...the Day of Pentecost. So, we decided to go attend a Pentecostal Service. 


Basically, it was just a normal church service, but it included the special stuff for the Pentecost service. It was good and really interesting. I loved the music, if it hadn't been for the music and standing up and singing...I would have been asleep the entire thing. When the sermon was given...I was struggling. I was interested though...it is interesting to learn what other Christian beliefs are. It was slightly awkward when everyone got up to do Communion and the large group of Mormons stayed sitting. It was a cool experience to attend another religions church service. It was two hours though...and I was not expecting it to be that long...my eyelids were fighting with me.

Christianity...check!

As soon as the service was over...we were on a hunt for food!! We were so hungry! We ended up stopping at a place for Shawermas. Delicious! I couldn't resist getting a cold soda...even if it was more expensive than it was worth.


After eating...our bodies could not handle any more exploring for the day...so we headed home.

I got home and CRASHED! For way longer than I was planning...but it felt so good! 

My school work may not have gotten as much attention as it deserved that day...but it was a good day! 

I was reminded of how many good, religious people there are, that are faithfully practicing their religions. I have so much respect for people of any religion that are doing what is right and worshipping God in their own way.

I am also just so grateful for the Restoration and to have the fullness of the Gospel here on earth, and how how much happiness it brings me! I am so grateful for my testimony of this Gospel.

I have such a good, blessed life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment