Pretty much every week since we have been back from Turkey has been crazy. The days are filled with classes and we try to find time to get out of the center and be in the city. I know that being in the city are the memories that I want to have...but I can't ignore my homework either. It's a hard balance...this whole prioritizing thing is harder than ever.
With that being said...Tuesday and Wednesday the schedule was kind of weird, so I didn't really have that much time to go out. It's so hot outside though, that sometimes I don't have it in me to just go wander in the city.
Thursday we finally had enough time to into the city, so as soon as we got out of class at 11...we were off! We needed to get out! Sometimes we just misses food that we are familiar with and that tastes like home...so we decided to go get pizza in the Old City! We ate pizza where "Jesus ate his first pizza"...or so he tells all the Mormons that walk by. It was delicious! Getting pizza here is such a treat. I guess he gave us a deal because we are Mormon, so we got a delicious pizza and mint lemonade. We sat and ate our pizza at the Armenian Hospice that has nice tables to sit outside and eat in the shade.
| Mint Lemonades sound so strange...but they are so refreshing and delicious! |
Then, our goal was to go to the King's Tomb. We weren't really sure where we were supposed to go, so we started heading in the direction that we knew it was...but we had to wander a little bit. We tried to ask people about it, but nobody seemed to know what it was. We eventually found it...and tried to go in, but apparently it was closed. We had heard that if you tell the guy you will pay 10 Shekels that he will let you in...but no such luck. We knew it was hit and miss. Oh well.
We wandered a little bit. We wandered into a Cathedral, which was pretty neat. We listened as a lady played the organ, and were excited to be familiar with some of the songs that she was playing. It was neat because the cathedral had a baptismal font. I thought it was neat that they did baptism by immersion.
Then, we wandered into the YMCA. There wasn't much to see. We looked at the schedule for the Pool out our curiousity. It was interesting to see that there whole pool schedule was divided into Women and Men pool times. Welcome to the Middle East.
Then, we went to Omar's and Jimmy's. They are the wood carvers. I hadn't actually been there yet, so it was fun to see what wood carvings they both had. I can't decide what I actually want to buy...and better yet, how much I am actually willing to spend. You sure can lay down some money at those places! I looked at a really pretty nativity...which was $450. Ya, I don't think I am willing to pay that much for a nativity. We will see...I am indecisive...and buying wood carvings is no different.
| I might get this one... |
| $450. Ya. Not cheap. |
We used the hot weather as an opportunity to try out the bus system. We are only allowed to use the 75 bus in East Jerusalem. We paid 5 shekels for the bus to drop us off by the center...and man, it was 5 shekels well spent! Going back to the center includes going down and up the valley...and it's hot. So, an air conditioned vehicle to take us up the hill is a beautiful thing!
Friday we didn't have a whole lot of time, since we can't even go out until 3 (that's the rules of Fridays). But we were determined to do something, so 6 of us headed over to Absalom's Pillar, which is near the Garden of Gethsemane. I am really not sure what the significance of Absalom's Pillar is...I should probably figure that out, but either way...it was cool! I liked it. I love that there is stuff to see around every corner in Jerusalem.
We then went to the church that they say Mary Magdalene is buried in. I feel like so many churches claim those type of things, but whatever. It was rather dark but it was cool to see.
We stopped by 7 to Eleven on our way home, and found out that they had popsicles for 1 Shekel...HELLO! That is music to my ears. That is going to be my new favorite thing. It was completely worth the 1 Shekel. (1 Shekel is like $0.28...way cheap!)
I am on the compassionate service committee in my ward...and Saturday we instigated a new program for compassionate service. We are doing Secret Sisters in my Relief Society...it brings me back to good ol' Girl's Camp days. We assigned everyone a sister and it basically gives everyone an opportunity to give little treats, notes, or service to their sister. It is a fun way to serve another sister.
Jon Schmidt was on a tour in the Holy Land...so Saturday night we went to the Augusta Victoria Church...and he performed us! It was so great! He is such an amazing pianist! If you haven't heard his music...look it up on YouTube! He made me wish I could play the piano!
It's so crazy the kind of places that we go to from one day to the next...every week brings new adventures!




No comments:
Post a Comment