It's super funny because when we came back from Turkey...it was a Sunday. So, our branch held a sacrament meeting for just those that had been gone in Turkey. I told my mom this and she said, "You guys just have church whenever you want, don't you?" hahaha. Yep. Pretty much. We had a real Christian Sabbath...then went back and caught up on sleep and recovered from being in Turkey.
That Monday we had our field trip to Jericho. Thankfully, it was just a half day field trip...because I don't think any of us could have handled much more than a half day...we were quite a bit warn out from Turkey.
Our first stop of the field trip was the Mount of Temptation. Where it is believed that Christ wandered for 40 days and 40 nights. It was just a desert and it was toasty. I could not imagine just wandering out there.
 |
| A little monastery cut into the mountain. |
 |
| Um...ya. I live in Israel. |
We then headed over to one of Herod's palaces. It's neat when you realize that Herod was the time of Christ. It's also neat to think of how the palace would have been back in it's glory days. Apparently there was a pool and spa and everything....so it was probably pretty amazing. We read a little about Herod in our scriptures...like in our Bible Dictionary. I love that all our sites in the Holy Land can refer us to our scriptures. It is seriously the best!
 |
| Not quite the palace it used to be. |
Then...we headed to Jericho. "The Oldest City of the World." At Jericho, we of course opened our scriptures to Joshua and read about Joshua leading the children of Israel around the walls of Jericho...and the walls went tumbling down. I love how well my teachers know the gospel and what great insights they give us at each site that we go to. I gained a whole new appreciation for Rahab...and this faith she has in her Heavenly Father.
 |
| "I like that tower. That is a nice tower." |
 |
| Reenacting the march around Jericho...obviously. I apparently missed the whole "don't look at the camera" memo. hahaha. |
Right next to Jericho was the Spring of Elisha...I believe. (I feel like I have to know all my facts when I post on my blog...but I'm sure I get things wrong...so forgive me).
That was the extent of our Jericho field trip. It was great, and we even made it back in time for lunch. It was a perfect post-Turkey field trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment