Monday, October 7, 2013

Hey Ya'll


Oi familia!!
 
It was fun hearing from ya'll!! (Look how Southern I am...saying "ya'll." hahaha) It sounds like Amy had a fun week in Utah!! I wished that I could have helped Kara celebrate her birthday...but we will just have to suffice with a Happy Birthday via email! Kara, I hope that you had an awesome birthday! I was thinking about you!! Also, I liked that Dad taught about the scattering of Israel, because I totally read that chapter this week, and was studying more about the tribes of Israel and the scattering of Israel!! Look at us all being in sync! Sounds like seminary and school are going well!! I just realized that I heard from everyone this week! Way to go, family! You rock!! Mom, I just got a letter this week, that I'm thinking you sent to the MTC originally, because it had pictures from the First Day of School! So, that was fun...and funny! I get things eventually! hahaha.
 
 
Where to begin...
 
Ok. So, I think I mentioned a little about our investigator, Smita, last week! She is awesome! We taught her last Monday and then yesterday, on Sunday! She is an older lady, and she is technically in the family ward, but we were asked to teach her. We wish we could meet with her more often, but she is so busy! She has been going to church for like 8 weeks now! And it was because she was interested in what we believe, and then called someone to find the church. She went to church, liked it, and then kept coming back! We met with her last night, and we were going to teach about the Restoration, but we only taught a few points because she asks so many questions, and she wants to make sure that she understands everything!! The Beesley family is her fellowshippers right now, and they are awesome at helping her understand and grow! They remind me of my family, because they are so good at helping the missionaries. They are an awesome family! Anyways...we have decided that right now Smita is converted to the church, we just need to help her become converted to the gospel. Which is interesting, because generally it seems like it is the other way around. She loves the family aspect, and she loves the commandments and the lifestyle that we live...but we need to help her come to know and have that relationship with Jesus Christ.
 
We did the booths again this week! On Wednesday, it went ok. We were right next to the "Disney College Program" booth, which was cool...but it was like, "Wait, we can help you go to the real happiest place on Earth!" hahaha. I think we were lacking some energy and Sis. Johnson started not feeling well. We decided that we need to do something to change it up, because currently the booth is really awkward to us, and it was the Elders before us thing, but it hadn't quite become our thing. So, what do we need?! We need candy! Obviously! So, Thursday we got starburst, and grabbed their attention with "Sweet treat for a Sweet message!!" hahaha. Or we would ask people if they want a starburst...because everyone loves starburst and starburst is none threatening. And either sneak in a mormon.org card too...or the ones that were interested would actually stop and ask why we were giving out starburst. And then you're like, "Well...let me tell you!" hahaha. I think the hard thing about the south is that they are preached to so much about religion...and so many have really bad views about Mormons...so, it's learning the right balance. We have to show them that we aren't just another church that is going to go around telling people that they are going to be damned, and showing them that we aren't as strange as people may think. Also, it's learning what people actually want to hear our message, and what people are just trying to save us. We try to be cautious of the churches that have reputations for being anti.
 
We had an investigator this past week, named Heath. We met him at the tables on campus, which is cool. We taught him about the Restoration, and he asked lots of questions, many of which we didn't quite know the answers to. But he seems pretty sincere and we had him pray at the end, and he prayed to have an open heart. Continued revelation is what he is trying to understand. We need to help him recognize when he is feeling the Spirit. We are teaching him again this week, and we are hopeful that he will continue to have an open heart and progress in the gospel!
 
We had P-day on Saturday...and it had been almost 2 weeks since we had had an actual P-day...and it was so nice and so needed! My biggest request was that we go to Target...it was a happy day! hahaha. I finally got a blanket...because I had been sleeping with just a sheet. And I got some trail mix...I like trail mix way too much! My companions probably didn't anticipate how much I love Target...and they are learning how much I love chocolate! hahaha.
 
I'm doing well! Missionary work has it's ups and downs, but I think the way that you handle the downs is really what makes you a good, effective missionary! I love, love, love President Hinckley's quote, "Forget yourself and go to work!" Because I feel like the better you impliment that, the better you are able to be an instrument in God's hands!
 
Love you all!! Have a great week!!
Sister Van Wag
 
P.S. I haven't tried pictures, but next week, I will have to remember to bring my card reader and see if I can send you some! Sadly, the picture taking has been minimal, but I'll work on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment