The week of June 12th wasn't the most exciting week in terms of sight seeing. Some weeks I have to remember that I am a student and tests and assignments all catch up to me. Ok, I am always aware that I am a student, but this week was full of tests...so it was even more so.
Tuesday we had a lot of time in class and the rest of the time studying. As part of one of our assignments for our Israel class we were assigned to watch a movie that night called Sallah Shabati. At first I was pretty bitter about having to watch it the night before our ANE (Ancient Near Eastern Studies) test...and it wasn't a movie that we could just listen to, because it was in Hebrew, so we had to read subtitles. But then we started watching it and I was cracking up. It was a like a Hebrew/Jewish version of Mr. Bean. It was dumb and strange, yet I was cracking up. But then I was up super late attempting to be ready for my ANE test.
Wednesday, we took our test...and I was determined to go out into the city. After spending a whole day in the center...I always feel the need to get out and into the city...even if we don't do anything big. So, I recruited Karen, Alvin, Alyssa, and Joe Ludlow to venture out into the city with me. We just went to shops...and I got a fun leather bag that was matching Alyssa and a bunch of other girls in the center. The boys got some fun t-shirts. And we made a stop to the Bakery in the Jewish Quarters...which is way too delicious for my own good.
Thursday was once again spent doing homework, studying, and going to classes. But in the midst of our studying...Camila and Juan took a necessary study break...which consisted of Salsa dancing. I loved watching them...so in their element. Before I knew it Juan was gesturing towards me...I warned him that I was no salsa dancer...but it ended up being a lot of fun. Mary Jane and I whipped out our newly found Salsa moves.
| My favorite Colombians. |
Thursday night was one of those nights that we just wanted to watch a movie...so I attempted to "study" while watching Footloose. Oddly I had never seen Footloose...so it was kind of funny, but I enjoyed it.
Friday's we aren't allowed to leave the center until 3...but we had class for 6 hours...so that tends to not be a problem. We had heard that there was a concert thing going on in the park and it was free, so we decided that we better check it out. It was fun to see what kinds of things people our age do for fun...but there was a lot of smoking and drinking, so we didn't end up staying for very long. I loved people watching and realizing that teenagers and young adults are the same all around the world.
We then headed to the Shuk. The Shuk is like a little market...mostly with food, in West Jerusalem. Well, there is a beautiful thing about going to the Shuk on a Friday night. Saturday is the Sabbath, so the people are all trying to get rid of their food...aka everything is way cheap. It is a beautiful thing! And since we tend to be pretty hungry on the Sabbath, we were all over getting cheap food.
Friday night, they had hired a man to teach us Israeli dancing. It was so fun! We did fun Israeli folk dancing. I loved it! We had such a good time, smiling and singing and dancing.
Saturday after church, I really wanted to go to the Garden Tomb...but most people were going to Gethsemane. So, I kind of had to recruit people...but 3 of us made our way to the Garden Tomb. As soon as I sat down in the Gardens, I realized that my legs were just wet under my skirt...ya, it was that hot and I was that sweaty. But it was so nice to just sit in the Garden Tomb and write in my journal and turn my thoughts towards my Savior.
One of the things that my mom had told me that she loved about the Garden Tomb when she came, was all the people that come from all around the world, but they come to worship. I love it! I loved watching a group from Europe sing and take communion. These people love their Savior, and I love seeing so many good, religious people in the world.
That Saturday had been District Conference...so that night we had a fireside with the Area Seventy that was with us. He gave such a great fireside.
Sunday we had plans to go to the YMCA and ring the bells with the Squires. The YMCA building was beautiful. We climbed to the top of the tower and overlooked the city. It was such a pretty view.
We then got to take turns ringing the bells. But it's not really just ringing, you play songs. Well, in my head...I was like, everyone can do it...so I can do it. Oh. My. Gosh. It was terrifying. Let me just tell you...I am not musically talented. Therefore, I am not so great at reading music. I don't play musical instruments. I was freaking out, but the Squires didn't have time to full on help me...so before I knew it I was playing for all of Jerusalem to hear. Ya...not one of my best moments. But for those in my group that had musical abilities...it was great.
Note to self: improve musical abilities before attempting to play bells for all of Jerusalem.
But...it was fun to see my friends have fun and to just enjoy my friend's company. I love these guys! Plus, the YMCA was beautiful and great!
| The group with the Squires. |
| It's fun to stay at the YMCA! |
After the bells some of the group met up with people at the Waffle Bar. Although the Waffle Bar is extremely delicious...it is also kind of pricey...and definitely not low in cal. So, a few of us opted out and went to see Jimmy's Olive Wood instead. I didn't get anything, but some of my friends figured out what they wanted, so that was good.
On the long trek back...we felt that a one shekel popsicle was necessary...and it sure was!!
It was a fun Sunday! But a week of finals was staring us in the face...ready or not...here we come!


No comments:
Post a Comment